Thursday, November 19, 2009

Like A Rose

The white rose seems to have become Makenzie's flower. I am not exactly sure how this happened but it has something to do with Mr. Baacke's rose chapel. Mr Baacke read this in Makenzie's memorial service.

"Many of you remember the rose chapel from the fall of 2007. We used white roses to symbolize the forgiveness and newness that God gives us every day. At the end of that
chapel every HS student received a white rose. I want to read a passage from Rob Bell. It’s the words I used to end that chapel....

“Life is messy. Gut wrenching. Risky. Things don’t always turn out well. Sometimes they don’t turn out at all. Sometimes everything falls apart & we wonder if there’s any point to any of it. We’re tempted to shut ourselves off, fortify the walls around our hearts, and forge ahead, promising ourselves that we will never open ourselves up like that again. But I have to believe that we can recover from anything. I have to believe that God can put anything, or anyone, back together. I have to believe that the God who Jesus invites us to trust is as good as He says He is. That God is loving. Forgiving. Merciful. Full of grace. And I have to believe that God does not run out of roses.” I think it’s totally cool to see white roses in the arrangement on Makenzie’s casket." -Mr. Baacke.

Today, above my Makenzie memorial board lies the white rose Mr. baacke gave out during that chapel our freshman year. In Nancy's room above the frame of her and Kenzie lies the white rose. The rose now symbolizes her. I looked at pictures the other day of Kenzie dancing that i hadn't seen before. In some pictures Makenzie had white roses. I thought that was soooo cool! Also, the dance that took place at RAFA in memory of Makenzie used white roses in the dance. White rose petals were tossed in the air and a single white rose was placed in Devin's arms. (Devin represented makenzie's body) Nancy, Joe, and I the other day when to Makenzie's cross at the intersection. White roses are tied up behind her cross along with some other white roses on the ground. At Nancy's we picked roses from her backyard and took them to put on Kenzie's cross. I brought 3 roses along with 1 white rose. The white rose meant more to me then the other 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment