Thursday, October 22, 2009

Beast at Beastie hunting


So yesterday and the day before i beastie hunted. Beastie hunting is what Mr. Baacke makes us do. We go outside and collect water from ponds or ditches, then we let them sit under a light for a week. The "Beasties" have multiplied by then and we are more likely to find them under the microscope. Beasties are small critters like Cyclops, Rotifers, Water Bear, Round Worm, Segmented Worms, etc. Anyway, I am in Bio 2 now and our class did this over the past 3 days. In Bio 1 we did this lab with a partner. Makenzie was my partner. We had so much fun beastie hunting together. I remember that when i would find something under the microscope Makenzie would begin calling Mr. Baackes name to come over and see what i found. She would always then ask to look before Mr. Baacke got to see it. She would always look down and try to follow it by moving the slide but she was never quick enough and ALWAYS lost the darn little critter. Then without Baacke confirming we saw something we wouldn't get any points. This aggravated me so much but the fact she lost it EVERY SINGLE TIME was soooo amusing. She became the slide maker and i was the only searcher. I stunk at making good slides with beasties in it. Makenzie always made a good slide and i could always find something interesting. So we were a good pair, as long as i didn't let her get a peak at the critter. lol. After Makenzie and I figured this out (that she would be the slide maker and i would be the searcher) we did amazing! We were constantly finding things. We got a lot of points. I tried to look through my labs from bio 1. Makenzie must have kept that lab because I don't have it. This year i worked in a group with about 6 people. I couldn't help wish that makenzie would have been by my side yelling "Mr. Baacke, Mr. Baacke! Katie found something" then asking to see it and then having it be gone by the time he got to our microscope. I always remember the time of beastie hunting because after she bugged Mr. Baacke to let her hold his iguana, Mordy. When he let her she was so excited. He put it on her shoulder or maybe she crawled up there. Her nails got stuck in Makenzie hair and when he finally took Mordy off she was scratched all over her arm and neck. I honestly don't think she even realized she was scratched. She did that "Ahh ahh" with her eyes real wide looking all excited thing that she does.

No comments:

Post a Comment